Grilled Flatbread with Garlic & Tomatoes
Yield: Serves 4-6
To quote one "Yelper" - "For my entree ordered the Grilled Flatbread (oh god, so good)... The flavors worked so well together and it was filling without making me feel like there was a rock sitting at the bottom of my stomach."
- 3 Bulbs Garlic
- 6 Ripe plum tomatoes
- Plenty of olive oil
- 1tbl Fresh Thyme
- Pizza Dough - use your favorite recipe or purchase
- Goat Cheese
- 2 handfuls of baby arugula
- Lemon Juice
- Aged Balsamic or Fig Vincotto
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees
- Cut tomatoes in half from top to bottom
- Place cut tomatoes in a mixing bowl
- Add 1Tbl. Fresh Thyme, Olive Oil (enough to coat the tomatoes), Salt, Pepper and toss together
- Place cut side up on a roasting rack
- Make sure you have a pan underneath the rack. A shallow pan works better.
- Place in oven for at least an hour. It can take up to 4 hours depending on your oven and how ripe the tomatoes are (it might take a few times until you find the sweet spot).
*If you have a cold smoker you can smoke them before you dry them.
- Trim the tops off of 3 garlic bulbs
- Place in a shallow casserole dish
- Add a good amount of olive oil to the dish (1/2 way up the bulb)
- Cover and bake at 275 degrees for 1 hour or until golden brown
- Cool and squeeze out bulbs
- Force through a sieve
- Prepare grill before rolling out dough. It should be medium heat
- Roll out a 4-6 oz piece of dough to a ¼ inch on a cookie sheet.
- Brush both sides with olive oil and season with salt, pepper, thyme
- Place dough on grill, it will begin to bubble turn 45 degrees on place back on the grill for 30 seconds. Flip over and cook for another 30 seconds. Remove and place back on the cookie sheet.
- Spread garlic puree over bread
- Season with thyme salt and pepper
- Crumble goat cheese over the puree and bake at high heat; 400-500 degrees until crispy.
- Remove from oven and slice.
- Garnish pieces of flat bread with baby arugula (season arugula with olive oil, salt and lemon juice), oven dried tomatoes and a good quality aged balsamic or fig vincotto.